Our website provides a curated collection of authoritative sources to help you explore the fascinating world of first names and their meanings. Our documents are hand-selected as well as user-contributed. The list below represents just some of the various resources used to glean our data.
Government Naming Sources:
- U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) – Offers official baby name popularity data for the United States.
- SSA.gov – The official website of the Social Security Administration, providing U.S. baby name data and trends.
- UK Office for National Statistics (ONS) – Provides baby name statistics for England and Wales.
- Statistics Canada – Offers baby name popularity data for Canadian provinces and territories.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Provides name statistics for Australia.
- New Zealand Department of Internal Affairs – Offers baby name data for New Zealand.
- Dictionary.com – A respected online dictionary that includes Thesaurus.com.
- “A Dictionary of Names” by Patrick Hanks and Flavia Hodges – A reliable source for name origins and historical background.
- “The Hidden Meaning of Names” by Kathy Lynn – An engaging book exploring the symbolism and significance of names.
- Etymology Online – An internet resource offering word origins, including many first names.
- “The Baby Name Wizard” by Laura Wattenberg – A book exploring name trends and etymological connections.
Books for Naming References:
- “The Complete Book of Baby Names” by Lesley Bolton – A comprehensive guide with thousands of baby names and meanings.
- “The Name Book: Over 10,000 Names – Their Meanings, Origins, and Spiritual Significance” by Dorothy Astoria – A spiritual perspective on names and their meanings.
- “A World of Baby Names” by Teresa Norman – A collection of names from various cultures and languages.
- “The Oxford Names Companion” by Patrick Hanks and Kate Hardcastle – An informative book covering the origins and history of names.
- “Beyond Jennifer & Jason, Madison & Montana: What to Name Your Baby Now” by Linda Rosenkrantz and Pamela Redmond Satran – A guide to unique and modern baby names.
- Oxford Dictionary of First Names – A comprehensive reference book exploring the origins and meanings of names.
- Ccel.org – A Bible names dictionary compiled by American Pastor and Educator Roswell D. Hitchcock.
Popular Websites for Name Research:
- Wikipedia.org – Extensive international online encyclopedia operated by a non-profit organization and published under the Creative Commons license.
- IMDb – Popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content.
- Fandom.com – An exhaustive reference source for all things TV, movies, and games.
- BehindTheName.com – An extensive database with names from various cultures, along with historical and cultural information.
- Nameberry.com – A top-notch site offering name popularity rankings, trends, and expert name suggestions.
- BabyCenter.com – A trusted resource with name meanings, popularity charts, and user-generated name lists.
- BabyNames.com – Research source for the meaning of names, history, origin, etymology, and fun name facts.
- Namepedia.org – An encyclopedia of names, including meanings, variations, and name-related articles.
Whether you’re naming your child, creating characters for a story, or simply intrigued by linguistic history, these resources will be your guide. Although as our disclaimer states, we cannot guarantee accuracy of our documented information, we strive to present details in a well-organized and logical environment.
If you would like to recommend additional resources or add/edit our documentation, feel free to contact us.